Financial Aid Banner

Financial Assistance Office

Student Employment Office
Picken Hall, Room 207A
(785) 628-5227
800-628-FHSU (3478)

Federal Workstudy is a federally subsidized program designed to promote part-time employment for undergraduate or graduate students in the Financial Aid program. Through these employment opportunities, students become acquainted with many aspects of the campus community.

On this page

Applying for Federal Workstudy

In order to be eligible for Federal Workstudy, students must have financial need and must be enrolled in a minimum of six credit hours during the fall and spring semesters and three credit hours during the summer. To apply for Federal Workstudy, students must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Because funding for the Federal Workstudy Program is limited, applying by the FHSU priority deadline (March 1st) gives students the best chance of receiving Federal Workstudy funds.

If awarded Federal Workstudy, the award will be listed as part of your financial aid package on your FHSU award notice. If you decide to accept your Federal Workstudy award, you may access your award listing through TigerTracks. On the "Online Services" tab, select "Financial Aid Eligibility." Select the appropriate award year at the top of the page. Your award letter is viewable under the "Accept Awards" tab.

If you were not originally awarded workstudy (which may happen for various reasons), you may request that your name be added to the workstudy waiting list by completing a Federal Workstudy Request Form. Students who are eligible for workstudy will be awarded from the waiting list as funding and positions become available.

[Back to Top]

Finding a Workstudy Job

After accepting your Federal Workstudy award, it is your responsibility to apply for available jobs through FHSU. You are not automatically placed in a specific job simply because you are awarded Federal Workstudy. Student jobs for the campus-based job programs are posted in Workday. To access Workday, login to TigerTracks. Select the Online Services tab>Student Employment.

  1. Apply online and interview with departments where you are interested in working.
  2. Follow-up! Your success in finding a job will depend largely upon your initiative and desire to work.
  3. Questions? Contact the Student Employment Office.

[Back to Top]

Paperwork & Paychecks

Once you are hired, your onboarding process will kick off in Workday. Onboarding includes completing the required forms online and presenting required identification documents to the Student Employment Office, 207A Picken Hall. You will need to present the following personal identification documents for determining employment eligibility:

  • social security card or state-issued birth certificate;
  • photo ID such as driver's license or Tiger card;
  • U.S. passport, when applicable.

All onboarding forms and identification documents must be completed/presented before you are allowed to clock in and begin working. Your supervisor will receive a notification when your onboarding is complete and you are authorized to begin working.

Effective June 8, 2014, the student employment wage is $8.25 per hour. Paydays are every other Friday. FHSU uses EFT (electronic fund transfer) as the payroll distribution process. Your earnings are deposited to the bank account of your choice, which you set up during onboarding. Pay advices are available for viewing online in Workday.

[Back to Top]

Canceling a Workstudy Award

If you have been awarded Federal Workstudy, but do not intend or are unable to use it, you will need to cancel your award immediately. You may decline the workstudy award through TigerTracks. If you had already accepted the workstudy award, please contact the Student Employment Office at (785) 628-5227 to cancel the award.

[Back to Top]

Non-Workstudy Campus Jobs

If you were not awarded Federal Workstudy and are still interested in campus employment, you may apply for departmental (non-workstudy) jobs. More information is available on our Departmental Jobs Program page.

[Back to Top]

Back to top