Federal Employee Identification Number

KSBDC Logo transparent
A Social Security number helps identify you when you file federal income tax forms such as Form 1040 and its schedules. However, partnerships, corporations and LLC's, must have a special Employer Identification Number (EIN or FEIN) to use for identification. If you are a sole proprietor and pay wages to to one or more employees, or you file any pension or excise tax returns, you too must have an EIN. In some cases, even though the IRS may not require an EIN, a third party such as a bank may require a business identification number. You may use your EIN for this purpose.

To get an EIN, fill out Form SS-4, "Application for Employer Identification Number," and mail it to the nearest IRS service center.

To use Tele-Tin, follow these steps:

-Duly authorized individuals should complete a Form SS-4, Application for Employer Identification Number. Duly authorized individuals include:
sole propr corporation.

-Call the Kansas IRS Service Center at (512) 460-7843 for issuance of the EIN. Tele-Tin service is available weekdays between 7:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. C.S.T.

-Once issued, write the EIN in the upper right corner of Form SS-4.

-Sign, date and mail the form to the IRS at the following address within 5 days:

IRS - Austin Service Center
3651 South Interregional
Austin, TX 78741

This information is intended to summarize federal and/or state tax codes and legislation in language that is clear and easy to understand. It is not intended to replace the federal and state legislation and guidelines it explains. Consult competent professionals (attorneys, accountants, tax advisors, etc.) for current information and advice appropriate to your particular business situation.
Back to top