Psychology Banner

How to Reach Us

Department of Psychology
Fort Hays State University
600 Allan Park Street
Martin Allen Hall 102
Phone: 785-628-4405
Contact Us

Psychology on Facebook   Twitter Icon   YouTube Icon

Q: Are there any application deadlines I should be aware of?

A: Applications will be considered on a rolling basis throughout the year. However, to be considered for admission, we recommend that you complete your application prior to October 1 for spring admission and March 1 for fall admission.

Q: Do you accept students in the Spring?

A: Yes, we will consider your application for possible admission in the semester for all programs.

Q: Is financial assistance available?

A: Yes, each year the department awards a number of Graduate Teaching Assistantships (GTA) on a competitive basis. These assistantships may include tuition remission as well as a salary.

Q: How do I apply for a Graduate Teaching Assistantship?

A: There is a separate application process for assistantships. Click here to read more about assistantships.

Q: Where do I send my application materials?

A: You will need to send all application materials directly to the Graduate School, not to the department of Psychology. Please verify with the Graduate School that all materials have been received.

Q: Do I have to have an undergraduate degree in Psychology to be admitted to the graduate program in Psychology?

A: No. If a student does not have an undergraduate degree in psychology, at least five courses in psychology at the undergraduate level are required before entrance into a graduate psychology program. The student must have had classes in: (1) general psychology; (2) statistics; and (3) a psychology course with a laboratory component, plus two additional psychology courses. Graduate Record Examination (GRE) general test scores are required before admission.

Q: How do I know which classes are being offered?

A: Classes can be viewed by viewing, then by clicking on the "course schedule" tab at the top. From there you can specify search parameters by department, semester, etc.

Q: Are the school and clinical program accredited?

A: Upon graduation from both the school and clinical programs, you will be eligible to seek licensure or certification to practice psychology in the state of Kansas. The profession of psychology is typically regulated by states, so licensure requirements may differ somewhat. However, many of our graduates practice in various states.

Q: If I want to be a school psychologist, do I need to get my Masters or EdS degree first?

A: To be licensed as a school psychologist in the state of Kansas (and other states as well), you will need to complete both the Master's and the Specialist in Education (EdS) degrees. Both degrees can be completed in two years of full-time study. During your first year of study you would complete the 30-hour MS in School Psychology and during your second year you would complete the 36-hour EdS in school psychology. Students who have already earned a master's degree may be able to complete the program in a shorter amount of time.

Q: Is the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) required for admission?

A: Yes. Students applying to the program need to take the GRE General Test. The Psychology Subject Test is NOT required You can contact the Kelly Center at (785) 628-4401 for information about taking the GRE at FHSU. Click here for more information about the GRE and other testing locations.

Back to top