How to Reach Us

Registrar's Office
701 Park Street
Hays, KS 67601
Picken Hall, Room 302
Phone: (785) 628-4222
Fax Number: (785) 628-4085

Office Hours
Monday - Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Academic Information, Policies, and Procedures

Responsibility of Students--Final responsibility for planning a course of study and for fulfilling all requirements and regulations rests with the student. The University Catalog is the authoritative source of information on requirements and regulations. All courses for which a student may claim credit must be recorded on the official student schedule which is on file in the Registrar's Office in accordance with enrollment and add/withdrawal policies prescribed by the University. Students who have questions about their official class schedule are encouraged to check in the Registrar's Office. Advisors, counselors, and others are pleased to help the student understand requirements and plan a course of study.


Hour of Credit

A semester is 16 weeks. A semester hour is a unit of credit given for a course meeting one 50-minute period per week for 16 weeks. Preparation for each class meeting is done outside the scheduled class period.

Enrollment of More than 21 Credit Hours
Students may be allowed to take in excess of 21 credit hours in a semester only by recommendation of the advisor and approval of the appropriate college dean.

Classification of Students

  • (FR) Freshman (1 - 29 credit hours)
  • (SO) Sophomore (30-59 credit hours)
  • (JR) Junior (60-89 credit hours)
  • (SR) Senior (90 plus credit hours)
  • (SP) Special - has bachelor's degree; undergrad classification
  • (SU) Special Undergraduate - high school student
  • (SG) Special graduate - non-degree-seeking; graduate classification
  • (GR) Graduate - degree-seeking; graduate classification
  • (ES) Education Specialist - degree-seeking; graduate classification

Lower division (freshman-sophomore): Up to and including 50 percent completion toward a baccalaureate degree; 0-89 quarter hours or 0-59 semester hours.

Upper division (junior-senior): Over 50 percent completion toward a baccalaureate degree; over 89 quarter hours or over 59 semester hours.

Graduate I: A student who holds a baccalaureate degree and who has completed less than 45 quarter hours or less than 30 semester hours of graduate work.

Graduate II: A student who holds a baccalaureate degree, has completed 45 or more quarter hours or 30 or more semester hours of graduate work, and has been admitted to an advanced graduate program.

back to top

Major Program
A major is a planned arrangement of courses in a given field leading toward a particular degree. A signed major consists of a minimum of 30 credit hours.

Minor Program
A planned minor is not required by the university. If a minor is included in a student's program, 
it consists of at least 20 hours of credit in a department other than the major and meets the requirements established by that department. General education courses taken for a student's minor program may also be counted toward that student's general education requirements.

Course Number and Levels
Course levels are identified by the first digit catalog course number as shown below:

000-099 For undergraduate students: non-credit courses.

100-299 For freshman-sophomore students; undergraduate, lower-division courses.

300-499 For junior-senior students; undergraduate, upper-division courses.

600-699 For undergraduate, upper-division and Graduate I students. Graduate students enrolled in 600-699 level courses will be expected to produce a greater quantity and quality of work that clearly demonstrates their master of the subject matter which surpasses that of the undergraduates enrolled in the same course.

800-899 For Graduate I students; graduate credit only.

900-999 For Graduate II students; graduate credit only.

Graduate I: Courses and thesis for masters students who have accumulated less than 31 graduate hours.

Graduate II: Courses for specialist students who have completed more than 30 graduate hours.

back to top

Grades and Grade Points
An evaluation of a student's work is given in terms listed below. Final grades for a course will be recorded in letter grades. The grade point average is determined by dividing the total number of grade points earned by the total number of credit hours in which grade points are recorded. The GPA is carried out to two digits past the decimal point (example 1.00). No rounding shall be done to arrive at the GPA.

A Superior Achievement: 4 grade points per credit

B Good Achievement: 3 grade points per credit

C Average Achievement: 2 grade points per credit

D Minimum Passing Achievement: 1 grade point per credit

U Unsatisfactory Achievement: 0 grade points per credit

I Incomplete: Assigned at discretion of instructor when work is of otherwise passing quality but incomplete, usually for reasons beyond the student's control. (See Removing an Incomplete.)

W Withdrawal

WP Withdrawal Passing (effective Fall Semester 1997 through Fall Semester 2008)

WF Withdrawal Failing (not used in calculating GPA) (effective Fall Semester 1997 through Fall Semester 2008)

WC Cancellation (non-payment of fees)

P Pass

CR Credit

NC No Credit

back to top

Grade Point Average (GPA)
The grade point average is determined by dividing the total number of grade points earned by the total number of credit hours in which grade points are recorded. The GPA is carried out to two digits past the decimal point (example 1.00). No rounding shall be done to arrive at the GPA.

Dean's Honor Roll
All undergraduate students, including those enrolled in continuing education classes and those enrolled in a second undergraduate degree program, are eligible for the Dean's Honor Roll distinction subject to enrollment and successful completion of 12 or more undergraduate credit hours (excluding pass/no credit hours and incompletes) with a GPA for that academic term of at least 3.60. Second undergraduate degree candidates should have declared a second major and have a degree summary on file in the Registrar's Office.

Non-Degree Students
An individual having a particular interest in university courses, but who does not wish to work toward a degree or any other organized program, may be permitted to pursue such courses. Some considerations for non-degree-seeking students include:

  1. not eligible for financial aid
  2. will remain classified as a freshman
  3. will not receive a degree summary (an evaluation of transfer hours)

Degree-Granting Periods and Dates of Degrees Earned
There are three degree-granting periods: fall semester, spring semester, and summer term. 
The last day of the fall and spring semesters and summer term is the date recorded on diplomas and on the transcripts for all students fulfilling degree requirements within a degree-granting period. Diplomas are mailed to students earning degrees after each semester or term.

back to top

An auditor is permitted to 'listen in' on a course but takes no part in the discussion, tests, or examinations and receives no credit. Permission to audit a course is granted by the instructor. An auditor may be withdrawn from a course at the option of the instructor. All Virtual College courses and other courses such as swimming, keyboarding, and cabinet construction cannot be audited. Full-time students, faculty, staff, and persons 60 years of age and older may audit a class under the conditions listed above. The regular fee per credit hour is charged (fee waived for persons 60 years of age and over). Upon completion of the class, "Audit" is recorded on the individual's transcript. Students may also audit a course without a record made on the transcript. The student must seek the approval of the instructor to audit the class. In this case, there is no formal enrollment; fees will not be assessed.

Pass/No Credit Policy
The purpose of the Pass/No Credit Policy (P/NC) is two-fold:

  1. to encourage students to select courses outside their major areas of study, with the purpose of broadening their educational experience without the fear of poor performance, therefore jeopardizing their grade point average;
  2. allow departments to utilize the P/NC option for certain courses that, because of their structure, do not lend themselves to traditional/consistent grading procedures.
  • Any individual may enroll in a class for Pass/No Credit.
  • Undergraduate students may be allowed to apply a maximum of 24 Pass/No Credit hours, excluding HHP credit, toward their degree.
  • The courses the student elects to meet general education requirements, courses used in fulfillment of a major program (including cognates) except as noted in the final bullet below, the language component for the B.A., and courses required in a student's minor may not be taken for Pass/No Credit.
  • After a student has enrolled in a course under the Pass/No Credit option, that individual may not subsequently change to a graded basis in that course, nor can the student who has enrolled for a grade subsequently change to a Pass/No Credit option.
  • The student must declare Pass/No Credit for each course taken Pass/No Credit at the time of pre-enrollment.
  • It is the prerogative of the instructor to determine what constitutes a particular letter grade. The instructor will report a letter grade on the grade roster for the student at the end of the semester. The letter grade will convert to a P (Pass) or NC (No Credit). A grade of D or above will be converted to a grade of P; a grade of U will be converted to NC. The P or NC grade will be recorded on the student's transcript.
  • Under Pass/No Credit a grade of P is not used in computation of the student's GPA.
  • No College of Education graduate course other than graduate-level Early Field Experience may be taken Pass/No Credit and count toward Teacher Certification and Endorsement.
  • Departments shall have the option to designate certain courses within their programs as P/NC. Examples of such courses might include: internships, readings, topics, practica, seminars, etc.

 Transfer of Pass/No Credit Grades

All appropriately transferable credits* in which a grade of "P" has been earned and which come from an institution or a degree program utilizing only P/NC or P/F grading may be used to satisfy General Education requirements and the language requirement for the Bachelor of Arts degree.

All appropriately transferable credits in which a grade of "P" has been earned and which come from an institution or a degree program utilizing only P/NC or P/F grading may be  used to satisfy major or minor requirements. If all specified course requirements for the degree are fulfilled through the use of courses with a grade of "P," the university will regard the minimum average grade index requirement as having been fulfilled.

At least 30 semester hours of credit with a passing letter grade of A, B, C, or D for a bachelor's degree must be taken from Fort Hays State University. Pass ("P") or Credit ("CR") does not count towards the 30 semester hours.

 *Appropriately transferable credits assume that an institution is accredited by a regional organization and that the class can be articulated to a comparable FHSU class.

 back to top

Change to Official Enrollment

Add Policy Statement for SEMESTER courses and for Summer TERM courses

Procedures for Adding Courses.

For add and enrollment deadlines refer to the Academic Calendar.  

Withdrawal Policy Statement  for SEMESTER courses and for Summer TERM courses


Appeal requests for withdrawal must be submitted to the Academic Appeals Committee. To initiate this process, contact the Office of the Registrar for the appeal form


back to top

Procedure for Course Withdrawal.

Procedure for Totally Withdrawing from the University. Students who desire to totally withdraw from all semester or term courses should review the Withdrawal Policy Statement and follow procedures for course withdrawal. Students who leave the university without officially withdrawing are considered to be enrolled to the end of the semester and subject to a grade of unsatisfactory "U." Financial aid recipients who totally withdraw may be responsible for federal repayment of aid based on the last date of attendance and/or academic participation.

back to top

Appeal Procedure
Students who wish to appeal the fee and add/withdrawal policies must submit an appeal form to the Office of the Registrar, Picken Hall 302, or email a scanned copy to The appeal must be legible, contain instructor, advisor and/or other appropriate support statements, to be considered by the Academic Appeals Committee. 

Removing an Incomplete 
The instructor will determine the conditions to be met for removal of an incomplete (I) for undergraduate courses. These conditions will specify the work to be completed and the time allotted for its completion; however, the maximum length of time for fulfillment of requirements to remove an incomplete grade shall be one year or one year after release from active duty for those students who are members of activated military reserve units.

If the work is not completed within this time, the incomplete will revert to a grade of "NC" (or a grade of "U" if taken Fall Semester 1997 through Summer Term 2001). Prior to this issuance of an "NC," a student may request additional time by submitting a written petition to the Registrar. This additional extension will also require the approval of the instructor or, in the absence of the instructor, the department chair. If the student does not receive an extension, the incomplete grade will revert to a grade of "NC" (or a grade of "U" if taken Fall Semester 1997 through Summer Term 2001). Once an "NC" grade has been issued, a student may improve that grade by using the procedure for Improving a Grade.

This rule with regard to time limit shall not apply to students admitted to the Graduate School for graduate credit in courses centered on individual study such as theses, problems, readings, research, seminars, practicum, and independent study (or any other arranged courses). It will apply to all other courses in the Graduate School in which class work is ordinarily completed in the process of the regular semester. However, incompletes will not revert to an "NC" for courses for graduate credit that are not completed within one year and will remain permanently incomplete after a year.

back to top

Improving a Grade (Repeat Policy)
A student may attempt to improve a grade in an FHSU course by repeating the course (contact the Registrar's Office for information about specific colleges). All grades remain on the student's transcript and the grade for the last enrollment in the course will be used in determining grade points. The grade in the course being repeated will also contain a notation RP (Repeated) on the transcript. A student who has an earned bachelor's degree may not repeat courses to improve the undergraduate degree grade point average once they have graduated. Although a course may be repeated to improve cumulative grade point average, the grade in the course being repeated will contain a notation RPD (Repeat of Course in Earned Degree Program).

Undergraduate Student Grade Appeals 
Membership in the FHSU learning community imposes upon the student a variety of commitments, obligations, and responsibilities (e.g., preparation for class, attendance, completion of reading assignments, participation in the governance of student affairs, etc.). One of these responsibilities includes the appropriate and prescribed use of the grade appeals process. Students are expected to first avail themselves of the university's established tradition of informal appeals which may involve one or more consultations with the instructor(s) involved. The reciprocal obligations which bind the members of the university learning community to one another require that all grade disputes must be initially addressed and discussed at this level. Failure to recognize this obligation to the instructor(s) on the part of the student must bring into question the appellant's commitment to the learning community and seriously prejudice further petitions for a resolution of the problem. If a grade dispute is not informally resolved at this level through consultation with the instructor, the department chair, or the college dean, the student is obliged to consult next with the appropriate department chair who will inform the student in writing of formal departmental appeal procedures and the student's entitlement to formal university-level appeals procedures and options.

back to top

Academic Clemency 
An undergraduate student returning to FHSU after a minimum separation from all institutions of higher education of two calendar years may petition to remove one or two academic terms (at the discretion of the student) of FHSU credit hours and corresponding grades from the student's official transcript record. Only FHSU credit hours and coursework taken prior to the two-year separation may be petitioned. If two enrolled semesters are appealed, then such terms must be consecutive enrollments as follows:

  1. consecutive fall-spring terms,
  2. consecutive spring-summer terms
  3. consecutive spring-fall terms (if not enrolled in the intervening summer term), or
  4. consecutive summer-fall terms.

The petition may be filed after the student has completed a minimum of 24 semester credit hours with a grade point average of 2.50 or better on all courses completed following re-enrollment at FHSU. The student may appeal only once. All approved appealed course numbers and names would remain on the student's transcript with the appealed grades and credit hours removed. The notation "Academic Clemency Granted," would be entered on the transcript in lieu of the appealed grades and credit hours. The approved appealed course grades and credit hours would not be included in any subsequent calculation of the student's overall grade point average. This policy is not applicable to any credit hours previously earned in any associate or baccalaureate degree program. For further information, contact the Office of the Registrar.

back to top

Official Enrollment/Transcript Record 
The transcript is a record of the student's official enrollment as of the 26th day of classes through the end of the semester, with grades recorded at the end of the semester. For the summer term, official enrollment is the 17th day of the term through the end of all summer-term course enrollments.

The University Official Enrollment Process
After pre-enrollment, students must finalize enrollment by established enrollment deadlines (see Academic Calendar).  To pre-enroll and finalize enrollment, student go to TigerEnroll.

Pre-enrollment is selecting a class schedule for the up-coming semester.  These classes are saved until fee payment arrangements are made or until the enrollment deadline has passed.  Pre-enrollment for on-campus students takes place after mid-term.  Students must observe enrollment deadlines so classes are not dropped due to non-payment of fees or making appropriate fee payment arrangements.

Pre-Enrollment for the Summer Term and Fall Semester begins in March
Pre-Enrollment for the Spring Semester begins in October

During the current semester, there are special pre-enrollment dates scheduled for first-time freshman and transfer students to pre-enroll, and then they enroll with fee payment along with current students according to the published enrollment deadlines.  Pre-enrollment information will be mailed to newly admitted freshmen and transfers. 

Withholding Records (transcripts; pre-enrollment). In the case of a student who is delinquent in an account to the university, e.g., unpaid traffic or parking violations, library fines, etc., or has had official disciplinary action taken, the appropriate university official may request that the student's record not be released. The effect of this action is that transcripts are not released and pre-enrollment forms are withheld. To rescind the action, the Office of the Registrar must receive authorization from the official who originally requested the action indicating that the student met the obligation. However, a student for whom there is a transcript "hold" will not be prevented from viewing the transcript in the Office of the Registrar. 

Class Attendance, Absence Notices and Records, Absences of Students 
The student is responsible for attending all classes on time, beginning with the first day of classes. If the student's participation in organized university activities should require missing a class or classes, it is the student's responsibility to notify instructors in advance and arrange to make up missed work. If the student misses classes due to illness, the student should seek treatment at the Student Health Center in order to facilitate early return to class. If the student is hospitalized, ill at their parental home, or has extenuating circumstances, the student should report this to the Student Health Center.

A death in the immediate family should be reported to the Office of Student Affairs. However, it is the student's responsibility to see instructors and arrange to make up all missed work.

In advance of any off-campus, officially-approved group activity (athletics, music, conferences, etc.), the group's sponsor must place on file a list of participating students in the office of each dean (arts and sciences, business and leadership, education and technology, and health and life sciences). Lists should be alphabetized for easy reference. In special individual cases or situations, certain offices (Student Health, Registrar, Student Affairs, etc.) may inform instructors of extenuating circumstances, but these are not excuses. The student is still held responsible for the work missed during the absence.

Whenever a student is absent from a class more than three times and the instructor does not know the cause, the student's name should be reported to the Vice President for Student Affairs. The vice president will then try to ascertain the reason for absence. In addition, the faculty member has an obligation to impress upon students the importance of regular class attendance. Faculty members who make regular class attendance checks may inform the dean of the appropriate college of students' excessive absences. In such instances, students will be informed to either initiate an official withdrawal within the time frame for official withdrawal or make arrangements with the instructor to complete the course. If the student fails either to withdraw officially or to complete the course, the student will be assigned the grade of U at the end of the semester.

Back to top