Provost Banner

How to Reach Us

Office of the Provost
Fort Hays State University
600 Park Street
Sheridan Hall 302
Phone: (785) 628-4241
Fax: (785) 628-4157

Office Hours:
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Mon - Fri


Faculty and Unclassified Staff Handbook
Chapter 2 -- Academic Affairs

Instructional Procedures

Absences of Faculty

Unless excused by their dean or on University trips, faculty are expected to be present according to the official calendar of the University. Absence reports are used in requesting permission to be absent either for official business of the University or for personal reasons. Absences due to health problems should be discussed with the appropriate department chair and arrangements made for covering classes.

Absences of Students

The student is responsible for attending all classes on time, beginning with the first day of classes. If the student's participation in organized University activities should require missing a class or classes, it is the student's responsibility to notify instructors in advance and to arrange to make up missed work. If the student misses a class because of illness, the student should report it to the Student Health Center; a death in the immediate family should be reported to the Office of Student Affairs. However, it is the student's responsibility to see instructors and arrange to make up all missed work.

In advance of any off-campus, officially approved group activity (athletics, music, conferences, etc.), the group's sponsor must send an e-mail note to all faculty and the deans. This note should include an alphabetized list of the participating students as well as times and dates of departure and return. In special individual cases or situations, certain offices (Student Health, Registrar, Student Affairs, etc.) may inform instructors of extenuating circumstances, but these are not excuses. The student is still held responsible for the work missed during the absence.

Whenever a student is absent from a class more than three times and the instructor does not know the cause, the student's name should be reported to the Vice President for Student Affairs. The vice president will then try to ascertain the reason for absence. In addition, the faculty member has an obligation to impress upon students the importance of regular class attendance.

Faculty members who make regular class attendance checks may inform the dean of the appropriate college of students' excessive absences. In such instances, students will be informed to either initiate an official withdrawal on or before the official withdrawal date or make arrangements with the instructor to complete the course. If the student fails either to withdraw officially or to complete the course, the student will be assigned the grade of U at the end of the semester.

Academic Dishonesty and Disruptive Behavior

Academic Honesty

See University Catalog for "Academic Honesty."

Disruptive Behavior

Actions by faculty, staff, students, or visitors that unnecessarily and unreasonably obstruct or interfere with the teaching, research or learning functions, or other normal and necessary activities of a state university, or which create an imminent threat of danger to persons or property, may constitute grounds for restitution, suspension, dismissal or termination, for permanent exclusion from the campus or any part thereof.

Kansas Board of Regents: Policies and Procedures Manual.

Academic Freedom

The University supports the principles of academic freedom as expressed in the standards of the American Association of University Professors.

The teacher is entitled to full freedom in research and in the publication of their results, subject to the adequate performance of their other academic duties; but research for pecuniary return should be based upon an understanding with the authorities of the institution.

The teacher is entitled to freedom in the classroom in discussing his/her subject, but should be careful not to introduce teaching controversial matter which has no relation to the subject. Limitations of academic freedom because of religious or other aims of the institution should be clearly stated in writing at the time of the appointment.

College or university teachers are citizens, members of a learned profession and officers of the educational institution. When they speak or write as citizens, they should be free from institutional censorship or discipline, but this special position in the community imposes special obligations. They should remember that the public may judge their profession and institution by their utterances. Hence, they should at all times be accurate, exercise appropriate restraint, show respect for the opinions of others and make every effort to indicate that they are not speaking for the institution.

All faculty members at FHSU enjoy academic freedom to teach and all students are accorded freedom to learn. Conflicts in this area should be discussed promptly and directly with department chairs and, if necessary, with deans. Academic freedom is not restricted to those possessing tenure. It is guaranteed to all.

Academic Majors, Minors, Special Emphases

See University Catalog for "Academic Majors, Minors, Special Emphases."

Accidents in the Classroom, Buildings, or on Campus

In case of sudden illness or accidents, the teacher or a student should immediately call the Student Health Center, administer first aid if a qualified person is present and notify the department chair without delay. In appropriate cases, classes should be adjourned. Health Center personnel should be given requested assistance. The Student Health Center will notify the family.

Change of Student's Class Program

All courses for which the student may claim credit and all changes in a student's semester program must appear on the official record of the student's program in the Office of the Registrar.

Change or Adoption of Textbooks

All textbook adoptions or changes are the responsibility of the faculty member or group of faculty members in charge of the specific course involved; the department chair will in turn notify bookstores. Book orders should be sent to the bookstore three or more months in advance of the semester or summer term in which they are needed if possible.


See Chapter 7: Student Affairs; Cheating.

Class Absences

Student absences may be excused at the discretion of the instructor.

Class Hours

A class hour is a scheduled period of fifty minutes except when classes for specific purposes are shortened by University action. It is expected that an instructor will use the entire period. The class period may be shortened for convocations.

Class Record

Faculty must keep an accurate record of each student's work and attendance.

Class Schedule Policy

The schedule of classes can be found at through the TigerTracks link on the home page of the Web site. The schedule of classes for any academic year is arranged prior to early registration; March for the Summer Term and Fall Semester, October for the Intersession and Spring Semester. Enrollment information can be found at Changes to the on-line schedule of classes must be cleared through the office of the appropriate college dean.

No course may be offered in any academic year which has not been recommended by the Faculty Senate or the Graduate Council and approved by the vice provost. This requires advanced planning for the revision of curricula and the addition of new courses.

College Honors

See the University Catalog for "Honors at Graduation" and "Honor Societies." The Dean's Honor Roll is published twice a year. All undergraduate students, including those enrolled in continuing education classes and those enrolled in a second undergraduate degree program, are eligible for the Dean's Honor Roll distinction subject to enrollment and successful completion of 12 or more undergraduate credit hours (excluding pass/no credit hours and incompletes) with a GPA for that academic term of at least 3.60. Second undergraduate degree candidates should have declared a second major and have a degree summary on file in the Office of the Registrar.

Compulsory Attendance

See University Catalog for "Class Attendance, Absence Notices, and Records, Absences of Students."

Copyright Act and Photocopying

The University abides by the laws and principles of copyright and photocopying as stated in Public Law 94-553, General Revision of the Copyright Law, which took effect on January 1, 1978. Each faculty member is urged to acquaint him/herself with this public law or the copyright statute found in Title 17 of the United States Code.

For your convenience, Forsyth Library recommends these online resources for interpreting copyright and fair use.
- The American Library Association's Fair Use Evaluator tool
- Copyright
- Copyright at Fort Hays State University
It should be noted, however, that the Kansas Board of Regents and FHSU do not guarantee legal representation without charge for faculty members involved in copyright litigation.

Course Add/Withdrawal

See Chapter 7: Student Affairs; Change to Official Enrollment (Add/Withdrawal)


Final Exam Schedule - See

No extracurricular activities should be held during final exams.


The instructor will enter grades through the faculty portal by the deadlines posted on the on-line Academic Calendar. Final grades for courses less than 16-weeks are due no later than seven days after the class is completed. Instructors and Department Chairs will retain access to the electronic final grade rosters for previous semesters through the faculty portal. Instructors can print final grade rosters for their records if desired.

Incompletes are given to students when course work has not been completed due to circumstances beyond their control. A faculty member awarding an "Incomplete" will indicate on the faculty portal grade entry system what must be done to remove that grade. The instructor will indicate the grade of "I" for incompletes when entering grades during mid-term and final grade entry.

Graduate Credit

Graduate credit may be earned in courses numbered 600 or above only by regularly enrolled and approved graduate students. In courses in which undergraduate and graduate students are enrolled, the standard of graduate work shall be the same as that for courses in which graduate students only are enrolled. The student must have an average grade of "B" for all courses taken for graduate credit to meet the requirements for the master's degree or the specialist in education degree.

Pass/No Credit Policy

· Any individual may enroll in certain classes for Pass/No Credit.

· Undergraduate students may be allowed to apply a maximum of 24 Pass/No Credit hours, excluding HHP credit, toward their degree.

· The courses the student elects to meet general education requirements, courses used in fulfillment of a major program (including cognates) except as noted in the final bullet below, the language component for the B.A., and courses required in a student's minor may not be taken Pass/No Credit.

· After a student has enrolled in a course under the Pass/No Credit option, that individual may not subsequently change to a graded basis in that course, nor can the student who has enrolled for a grade subsequently change to a Pass/No Credit option.

· The student must declare Pass/No Credit for each course taken for Pass/No Credit at the time of pre-enrollment.

· It is the prerogative of the instructor to determine what constitutes a particular letter grade. The instructor will report a letter grade on the grade roster for the student at the end of the semester. The Computing Center will convert the letter grade to a (P) Pass or (NC) No Credit. A grade of D or above will be converted to a grade of P. A grade of U will be converted to NC. The P or NC grade will be recorded on the student's transcript.

· Under Pass/No Credit a grade of P is not used in computation of a student's GPA.

· No College of Education graduate course other than graduate-level Early Field Experience may be taken Pass/No Credit and count toward Teacher Certification and Endorsement.

· Departments shall have the option to designate certain courses within their programs as P/Nc. Examples of such courses might include: internships, readings, topics, practica, seminars, etc.

Transfer of Pass/No Credit Grades

All appropriately transferable credits* in which a grade of "P" has been earned and which come from an institution or a degree program utilizing only P/NC or P/F grading may be used to satisfy General Education requirements and the language requirement for the Bachelor of Arts degree.

All appropriately transferable credits in which a grade of "P" has been earned and which come from an institution or a degree program utilizing only P/NC or P/F grading may be used to satisfy major or minor requirements. If all specified course requirements for the degree are fulfilled through the use of courses with a grade of "P," the university will regard the minimum average grade index requirement as having been fulfilled.

At least 30 semester hours of credit with a passing letter grade of A, B, C, or D for a bachelor's degree must be taken from Fort Hays State University. Pass ("P") or Credit ("CR") does not count towards the 30 semester hours.

*Appropriately transferable credits assume that an institution is accredited by a regional organization and that the class can be articulated to a comparable FHSU class.

Transfer of Pass/No Credit Grades policy approved by President's Cabinet (01-06-14).

Back to Chapter 2


Back to top