Provost Banner

How to Reach Us

Office of the Provost
Fort Hays State University
600 Park Street
Sheridan Hall 302
Phone: (785) 628-4241
Fax: (785) 628-4157

Office Hours:
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Mon - Fri


Faculty and Unclassified Staff Handbook
Chapter 4 -- Faculty: Benefits, Responsibilities, and Specific Requirements 

Terminal Degree Requirements

FHSU will provide funding for terminal degree compensation, separate from the merit and enhancement funds, for a unit faculty member upon the completion of his/her terminal degree. The amount of the compensation will be determined by the Department Chair upon consultation with the Dean of the College and the University Provost, and will be negotiated at the time of employment with the new faculty member. The additional monies used to fund any increased salary resulting from degree completion will come from the salary line for that particular faculty member and not from merit funds or any other monies appropriated to the department.

For faculty under an existing contract with FHSU at the time of degree completion, but whose contract does not specify a higher salary amount upon completion of a terminal degree, the amount of compensation will be at least $500 unless it is negotiated to a larger amount by the parties.

For purposes of this section, "terminal degree" refers to the degrees specified below as appropriate for the department in which the faculty member serves, and which specifically relates to the faculty member's teaching responsibilities.

College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences

Art and Design

Studio Art --- M.F.A.
Art History --- Ph.D. or Ed.D.
Art Education --- Ph.D. or Ed.D.

Communication Studies --- Doctoral degree

Criminal Justice --- Doctoral degree in Justice Studies, a related field, or a related discipline with a justice studies focus; or
Juris doctorate for specifically designated positions with a focus on the law.

English --- Ph.D. or M.F.A. for specifically designated positions with a focus on writing.

English as a Second Language --- Master's degree or doctorate in a relevant field.

History --- Ph.D.

Leadership Studies --- A doctorate degree in leadership or related field.

Modern Languages --- Ph.D.

Music and Theatre

Music --- Doctorate, or Master of Music degree with 5 or more years of professional performance experience

Theatre --- Doctoral degree or M.F.A. or master's degree with 5 or more years of professional theatre experience

Philosophy --- Ph.D.

Political Science --- Ph.D., J.D.

Sociology --- Ph.D.; For specifically designated positions, a master's in relevant field for teaching addictions counseling.

Robbins College of Business and Entrepreneurship

Applied Business Studies -- A doctorate degree in a business area or related field.

Economics, Finance and Accounting --- A doctorate degree in a business area, related field, or doctorate in an unrelated field and completion of post-doctoral "bridge to business" program approved by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business.

Informatics --- Doctoral degree or master's degree with relevance to Informatics. A doctorate is the terminal degree for faculty teaching BBA or MBA courses.

Management--- A doctorate degree in a business area or related field. The Juris Doctorate (J.D.) is accepted as a terminal degree for law and law related coursework.

College of Education

Advanced Education Programs --- Ph.D. or Ed.D.

Teacher Education --- Ph.D. or Ed.D. with exception of a clinical position in Pre-service Secondary Teacher Education which would have either Ph.D., Ed.D. or Master's and 10 years recent experience in schools.

College of Health and Behavioral Sciences

Allied Health --- Master's degree

Medical Diagnostic Imaging --- Master's degree

Radiologic Technology --- Master's degree

Communication Sciences and Disorders --- Master's degree for clinical work; Earned doctorate for research; Master's degree in clinical areas (for teaching). Earned doctorate in theoretical areas.

Health and Human Performance --- Earned doctorate

Nursing --- Master's degree in Nursing
M.D. degree
D.O. degree

Psychology --- Doctorate, normally Ph.D., but possibly Psy.D., Ed.D., D.S., or M.D.

School Psychology --- Ph.D, but possibly Ed.D., or Ed.S.

Social Work --- M.S.W.

Werth College of Science, Technology, and Mathematics

Agriculture --- Ph.D.

Applied Technology --- Ph.D., Ed.D. or Master's degree and a minimum of 10 years successful experience in industry or teaching.

Biological Sciences --- Earned doctorate

Chemistry --- Ph.D.

Computer Science and Information Systems Engineering --- A Ph.D. in Computer Science or a Ph.D. in Computer Engineering (or closely related engineering field).

Geosciences --- Ph.D.

Mathematics--- Ph.D., Ed.D., or D.A. in Mathematics or an M.S. or M.A. in Computer Science

Physics --- A doctorate in physics or closely related field

Forsyth Library

Library Science --- A master's degree from a program accredited by the American Library Association (ALA) or an international equivalent program of library or information science as determined by the Library Dean.

Back to Chapter 4


Back to top