Provost Banner

How to Reach Us

Office of the Provost
Fort Hays State University
600 Park Street
Sheridan Hall 302
Phone: (785) 628-4241
Fax: (785) 628-4157

Office Hours:
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Mon - Fri


Faculty and Unclassified Staff Handbook
Chapter 6 -- Business Affairs: General Regulations, Services, and Procedures

Accidents and Medical Incidents
University employees are covered by the Kansas Workmen's Compensation Law for job-related accidental injury. All such injuries should be reported as soon as possible to the director of the physical plant for filing with the state self-insurance fund. Accident report forms are provided to all offices for this purpose.

Budget requests are submitted by the offices and departments through the deans to the provost for recommendation to the president.

Building Access (formerly Key System Policy and Procedures)

Building Supervisors

Buildings and Facilities

Business Office
The Business Office is the principal source of information about University procedures and reimbursement for activities performed on behalf of the University. Other services include the collection of enrollment fees, residential hall fees, accounting for student activity funds, the distribution of faculty, staff and student activity tickets, etc.

Capital Assets Inventory (formerly Inventories)

Cell Phone Policy

Chairs and Equipment
Requests for moving chairs and equipment should be made on work requests submitted to the Physical Plant. It is the general policy of the University not to loan University equipment for off-campus use.

Contracts with Off-Campus Agencies

Credit Card Security

Data Classification Policy

Deposit of Cash Receipts

Educational Travel

Electronically Stored Information- See Information Access and Technology Policies: Information Security, End Point Protection, Physical Security of Data Center and University Data

Email Policy

Endpoint Protection and Configuration

Facilities Planning

In the event of a fire in a University building or on University property, occupants are to evacuate immediately. University police and city fire department are to be notified. University police are responsible for notifying the proper University officials.
The city fire department telephone number is 9-911; the University police number is 628-5304.

Fringe Benefits

Gasoline Credit Cards
University-owned cars and vans have Universal state credit cards available in the glove compartment. These credit cards are accepted at most major stations. Please note the exceptions on the clipboard holding the credit card.

Gifts, Prizes, Awards and Promotional Items Purchased

Information Security

Liability Insurance - State-owned Vehicles
The state carries liability insurance on each state-owned car or truck. However, employees are advised that protection offered by such insurance is effective only when they are acting within the scope of their authority or within the course of their employment.

Mail and Faculty Mail Boxes
The mail arrives on the campus at approximately 8:00 a.m. each day and the distribution is completed by 10:00 a.m. Faculty mail will be distributed to their departmental mail box at the University Mail Center.

NACUBO Code of Ethics

Offices and Assigned Space, Personalization and Modifications of

Official Travel

Off-Campus Requests for Use of Facilities

Parking and Traffic Rules and Regulations

Physical Plant

Physical Security of Data Center and University Data


Printing Services

Purchasing Procedures

Security Awareness and Training

State Vehicle Use

All office supplies are ordered through Central Purchasing,

University Police Department
The University Police Department is located in Custer Hall. In this department are both security and police officers with responsibility for investigating criminal offenses, controlling traffic, parking, and maintaining security on campus. Police officers survey all campus buildings after hours. University Police can be reached during the 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. shift by calling 5304, or after hours by calling the Hays Police Department which will contact a University Police officer by radio.

Use of Facilities after Closing Hours

Visitor Parking
Visitors to the campus may use any of the stalls or lots marked "Visitor" or the 15-minute and 30-minute stalls without a parking permit. Signs or the curb will carry markings designating it as a visitor's parking zone. Visitors need to procure a visitor's parking permit from the University Police Department to park in other areas. In addition. several metered stalls are available north of Forsyth Library. A permit is not required for use of these metered spaces.

Back to top of page

The information in this document is provided for informational purposes only. It is not intended to create additional contractual obligations or benefits.

NOTE: The provisions published in this Faculty and Staff Handbook are for general information only. Members of the collective bargaining unit represented by the Fort Hays State University chapter of the American Association of University Professors should consult the current Memorandum of Agreement for current terms and conditions applicable to bargaining unit members.


Back to top