Communications Sciences and Disorders Banner

How to Reach Us

Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders
Fort Hays State University
600 Park Street
Albertson Hall 131
Phone: 785-628-5366
Contact Us

FHSU Communication Disorders on FacebookFHSU Communication Disorders on TwitterFHSU Communication Disorders on Instagram

Current Students

This page provides helpful recommendations, tools, and documents for a successful experience as a student majoring in Communication Sciences and Disorders. To ensure a successful collaboration between advisor and advisee, students should reference the FHSU Advising Handbook. The following topics and documents support information presented in group and/or individual advising meetings. Students may contact their advisor for any additional questions or concerns.


To learn more about courses specific to communication sciences and disorders, go to the Academic Programs tab on the left hand side of the page. For more information about the general education coursework, review the links below. It is the student's responsibility to track their academic coursework by reviewing their "unofficial transcript" in the TigerTracks work space. In addition, students should work to maintain a GPA of 3.2 or higher in the general education coursework and a 3.5 or higher in the CSD specific coursework in order to meet the requirements for graduate school application.


Fort Hays State University provides several helpful links regarding enrollment, including how to drop or withdraw from a course. Check out the links below for more information:

Preparation for Graduate School

Traditional students should begin reviewing the steps for application to graduate school as early as their sophomore year. More specifically, students can begin thinking about the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) including requirements for scores in order to apply to graduate programs and available materials used to study for the test. In addition, students may consider general education courses that could support knowledge in the areas that would be included on the test. Recommended courses include: advanced mathematics (i.e. beyond College Algebra), advanced science, (e.g. Physics, Chemistry), English Literature, and English Composition. Students should also consider searching for graduate schools outside of Fort Hays State University by utilizing the ASHA Ed Find link.

Frequently Asked Questions?

Q: What if I am struggling in my coursework?

A: Your first point of contact should be your instructor, followed by your advisor. In addition, you may consider utilizing the CSD Tutoring Center, or talk to your advisor about visiting the Kelly Center for additional academic support.

Q: How do I calculate my GPA?

A: The FHSU GPA calculator.

Q: What is the CSD Tutoring Center?

A: The department provides CSD Tutoring Center from 7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. Mondays - Thursdays in Albertson Hall Room 112. Graduate Teaching Assistants enrolled in the Speech-Language Pathology graduate program are assigned to provide tutoring support for students in all CSD related coursework.

Q: What scholarships are available?

A: FHSU provides a link for scholarships. In addition, you can search for specific CSD scholarships in the FHSU search bar. The following are a list of those scholarships:

  • Geneva Herndon Scholarship
  • Geneva Herndon Scholar
  • Marian Dreiling Scholarship
  • Communication Disorders Scholarship
  • Peier Family Scholarship
  • Jordyn Claiborn Scholarship
  • Megill Scholarship
  • Velma Wooster Scholarship

Q: What is NSSLHA?

A: The National Student Speech Language Hearing Association is a student organization for students seeking a degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders or a graduate degree in Speech-Language Pathology. For more information, check out the NSSLHA link.

Q: How can I learn more about what is going on outside of the classroom?

A: Follow us on social media! Click the social media links on the left hand side of the page under "How to Reach Us."



Back to top