Credit for Prior Learning Banner

How to Reach Us

Credit for Prior Learning

Dr. Marcus Porter,
Credit for Prior Learning Coordinator

Fort Hays State University
600 Park Street
Sheridan Hall 302
Phone: (785) 628-4552

Office Hours:
8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Mon - Thurs

Contact Us

Credit by Documentation

Credit by documentation is used when Fort Hays State University faculty have determined a specific experience provides the student with the knowledge that would be gained from a FHSU course and all that is needed is proof the student has successfully completed the experience. Students will typically pay the Advanced Standing Credit Examination fee, currently $25 per credit hour requested, all CPL policies apply.


Fort Hays State University has agreements in place with schools, training programs, and other organizations.  If you have been told that you can receive credit for what you are doing with another organization it is likely that it is a partnership agreement.  CPL credit awarded is determined by the agreement and open only to students covered by the agreement.  For more information contact the organization you took the original work with, or if you contact us be sure to let us know what organization told you they had an agreement  with us (they may have phrased it as FHSU will give you credit for…), what you took with that organization, and when you took it. 

Certificates, Certifications, & Credentials

Fort Hays State University accepts some certifications, certificates of completion or similar proof of learning.  To qualify for CPL, this type of documentation must show all the following: 1) Evidence the learner achieved a specified standard for obtaining the credential, 2) the credential must be based on specific content (can be knowledge or skill as appropriate) that is available for FHSU faculty to assess, 3) in the judgement of the FHSU faculty the content must cover content of an FHSU course (students will have to take a course if to obtain the missing piece even if the credential covers almost all of a course), 4) the FHSU faculty must determine that obtaining the credential certifies the learner has demonstrated knowledge at a level comparable to passing the FHSU course.  5) Awarding credit will advance you toward your degree.  All CPL must advance a student towards a degree, thus even if you hold a credential that would be accepted the CPL is not awarded unless you can use that credit towards your degree.

Alternative Credit Project

If you have stopped out of college, the Alternative Credit Project ™ (ACP) provides a pool of courses that Fort Hays State University (FHSU) will accept towards your degree.  The ACP, supported by a generous grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, is designed to help adults finish what they started – a two-or-four year degree, or a post-secondary certificate. Students who wish to participate in this program must submit an ACE transcript with the course designations listed on the ACP page. Transcripts received with a passing grade will be recorded as “CR” on the Fort Hays State University transcript.  

International Baccalaureate (IB)

The International Baccalaureate is one way to earn college credit. The registrar’s office maintains a list of course equivalencies for International Baccalaureate. Students who have completed IB schools and tests should have International Baccalaureate forward an official report of their scores to the Office of the Registrar at Fort Hays State University.

National Council Licensure Exam for RN

The Nursing Department at Fort Hays State University will grant Advanced Standing Credit to students in the RN to BSN program who have passed the NCLEX-RN Exam. Courses FHSU grants Advanced Standing credit for and the hours needed will be determined for each student and posted in the final semester. Students will pay $25 per credit hour, up to 36 credit hours. For more information see the RN to BSN page.

Back to top