Student Fiscal Services
Disbursement of Financial Assistance
Student Fiscal Services disburses financial assistance and processes available refunds to you. Disbursement can be delayed if you do not meet certain eligibility requirements such as the number of hours enrolled or if you are on financial aid suspension. It is your responsibility to meet the criteria necessary for release of financial assistance. See Eligibility/Disbursement in Financial Aid Policies. If you have any questions concerning your eligibility for financial assistance, you will need to contact the Financial Assistance Office.
Listed below is an outline of the disbursement process and the steps you need to take to receive your financial assistance funds:
- Financial assistance is usually awarded on an academic year basis but disbursed each semester. Check Important Dates to see when available financial assistance will be released to student accounts.
- When financial assistance is available for release, current semester charges (tuition and housing) are paid first.
- Books and supplies are not charged by the University. You are personally responsible for the purchase of books and supplies. You may use your excess financial assistance that is refunded to you to pay for your books and supplies, if available; otherwise, you will need to use your own funds.
- Excess financial assistance available after payment of University charges is refunded to you using the valid refund option you selected in TigerEnroll. It is very important that you select a valid refund option when enrolling on TigerEnroll in order to receive your refund in a timely manner. Check out Refunds to determine the best available option for you. Student Fiscal Services reserves the right to select a refund option for you.
- It is your responsibility to make payment for any remaining charges on your account after all available financial assistance has been disbursed. You must meet payment deadlines to avoid late fees.
- Right to Cancel. If you decide that you do not need all or a portion of your student loan(s) that you received for the semester, you have the right to cancel all or a portion of your student loan(s) within 14 days of the disbursement date. Loans eligible for cancellation are: Federal Direct Loans, Federal Perkins Loan, TEACH Grant, and Federal Grad and Parent PLUS Loans. If you want to exercise your Right to Cancel or have questions concerning this process, call us at 785-628-5558.
- Federal PLUS loan. PLUS loans are applied to University charges similar to other financial assistance; however, excess financial assistance is refunded directly to the parent, not to the student.
Have additional questions about disbursement of financial assistance? Contact us at 800-628-FHSU (option 8, then option 2), 785-628-5251, firstname.lastname@example.org or stop by our office at 317 Picken Hall.