How to Reach Us

Kaley Klaus, MLS Coordinator
College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences
Fort Hays State University
600 Park Street
Rarick Hall 235

Frequently Asked Questions

As with any degree program, students often have questions that are both important and common. Below you'll find answers to some of the more questions that prospective students ask about the Master of Liberal Studies at Fort Hays State University. If you have specific questions about the program that are not addressed below, please feel free to contact us.

Video 1: An introduction to the MLS
Video 2: Who is the MLS for and what are the expected outcomes from the MLS?
Video 3: What are the hardware and software requirements to complete the MLS?
Video 4: An overview of the MLS curriculum
Video 5: How are the courses delivered and scheduled?
Video 6: What is the culminating experience?

An Introduction to the MLS...

What can the MLS do for me?
Many graduate students like the flexibility of the MLS to study in an emerging discipline without a full graduate program. The MLS degree can be used by individuals who want to come back to school to retool or to experiment with a new area of inquiry. Though the MLS does not necessarily certify you for any particular advancement, many of our graduates have successfully used the MLS as an advancement step within their organization or into new careers.

How soon can I start the MLS program?
FHSU is on a semester schedule. Classes normally begin in late August, mid-January, and early in June.

What is the cost?
The cost of education is an important factor for many students, and Fort Hays State University offers some of the most affordable graduate tuition in the country, with several of its online programs recognized as Best Buys. Current tuition information for on-campus and online courses can be found on the Student Fiscal Services website. You can also figure, on average, $200 per class for books. Most graduate students can earn their entire degree for less than $10,000.

Do I need to be admitted before I can take classes?
You should wait for the formal notification that you have been accepted into the MLS program before you register for classes.

Can I change my program of study after I start?

Yes, though at a minimum this will require the approval of your advisor, the MLS Program Coordinator, and the Graduate Dean. Changing to a different concentration will require you to reapply for admission. Contact the Graduate School for more information if you want to change concentrations. Once you have been admitted to this concentration, please review the MLS Checklist and carefully read the MLS Student Handbook.

Is Fort Hays State University accredited?
Yes. FHSU is regionally accredited by the North Central Association for Colleges and Schools and is granted the authority to award degrees by the Kansas Board of Regents. Fort Hays State University is also accredited by several specialized agencies. The Master of Liberal Studies is a full member of the Association of Graduate Liberal Studies Programs.

Can I receive financial aid for my studies?
Yes, FHSU is a Title IV compliant institution. Contact our Financial Assistance Office for more information.

Do I need to maintain a certain GPA?
As with nearly every graduate school program you'll need to have a 3.0 to graduate. When a department accepts you into its program, there may be other requirements.

Can I transfer credit from ACE or another graduate school?
In many cases if the graduate credit is intrinsic to the course of study you are proposing, credit can be applied to your MLS concentration. All graduate work considered for transfer (a) must be no older than six years by the time the student finishes the MLS; (b) must be taken at the graduate level; (c) must have a grade of "C" or better (a student's advisor can set a higher standard); (d) must be offered by a regionally accredited institution; and (e) cannot be part of another post-graduate degree.

Back to top