Kansas State Department of Education (KSDE) Licensure Requirements for Building Leadership (Principal)
The Building Principal Program in the Department of Advanced Educational Programs meets the
requirements of KSDE. Since state licensing
requirements vary from state to state, additional requirements for these
positions will depend on the requirements of your state department of
education. The following are the steps you need to take to receive your
licensure as a building principal in the state of Kansas.
Obtaining an Initial Building School Leadership License
Complete the approved FHSU Building Leadership
Licensure Program and earn a master's degree (or an FHSU endorsement in
addition to an existing master's degree).
Achieve a passing score of 165 on the ETS Content Assessment for Building
Leadership, the School Leaders Licensure Assessment (SLLA). The SSLA has
an individual registration date and a separate registration form. You
may fill out the form in the registration book or register on-line
The SLLA is tentatively scheduled to run approximately
from 7:30 AM to 1:00 PM. For more information, contact the Licensure Officer,
in Rarick Hall 220 or (785) 628-4542 or the FHSU Coordinator of Testing
Services at (785) 628-4401. The PRAXIS Test dates are available at http://www.fhsu.edu/kellycenter/testing/PRAXIS-SLS/.
Apply for an "Initial School
Leadership (Building Leadership) License". The first "Initial School Leadership License" is valid for a period of two years from the date of issuance. This is KSDE Form 1 "Application
for Kansas Initial License or Added Endorsements" available at https://online.ksde.org/authenticationpublic/ on the KSDE electronic web application page. You will need to register to obtain an individual login and password for accessing KSDE web applications. After you complete the form, it will sent electronically to the FHSU Licensure Office.
Each applicant for an initial school leadership license shall submit to the state board the follow:
official transcript verifying the granting of a graduate degree
from an accredited institution by the unit head or designee of completion of a
graduate level school leadership program. To receive an institutional
verification from Fort Hays State University for the Kansas State Department of
Education, applicants for a Building Leadership endorsement must complete the
Fort Hays State University approved Building Leadership Program and have
a total of 36 graduate hours.
of a minimum 3.25 GPA in graduate coursework;
of successful completion of a school leadership assessment as determined by the
of at least one year of recent accredited experience or at least eight semester
hours of recent credit;
application for conditional school leadership license;
licensure fee; and
of five years of experience in a state-accredited school while holding a
professional teaching license, a professional school specialist license, a
professional clinical license, or a full vocational-technical certificate.
KSDE will mail the license directly to you. Please allow 6-8 weeks for processing the application by KSDE.
The candidate (you) secure a position as a principal or assistant principal. *NOTE: You must be in a position as a principal or assistant principal in order to complete the District Administered Mentoring Program.
Steps for Obtaining an Initial Professional School Leadership License
A. District Administered Mentoring Program
- You complete the year long district administered mentoring program as a principal or assistant principal. *NOTE: You must be in a position as a principal or assistant principal in order to complete the District Administered Mentoring Program. You are no longer required to enroll in and complete internship credit through a university.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates must be in a position as a principal or assistant principal in order to complete the District Administered
Mentoring Program. Effective July 18, 2008, individuals holding an initial school leadership license must complete a year-long district
administered mentoring program to successfully complete the performance assessment as a prerequisite to receiving a
professional school leadership license.
B. Policies and Requirements District Administered Mentoring Program
• Mentoring and supervision for a one-year period
must be provided by the district during the term of the initial license.
• The assigned mentor must be an appropriately licensed school leader within the district or from another district.
Candidates (you) are no longer required to enroll in and complete internship credit through the higher education institution.
• The higher educational institution where the program was completed is no longer required to provide supervision.
• The district providing the mentoring/supervision will be required to complete a verification form as part of the upgrade application
process for the professional license.
2.. Each applicant (you) for an initial professional school leadership license shall submit to the state board the following:
- Verification of successful completion of the school leadership performance assessment prescribed by the state board while employed in a school accredited by the state board or by a national or regional accrediting agency recognized by the state board;
- Verification of at least one year of recent accredited experience or at least eight semester hours of recent credit;
- An application for a professional school leadership license;
- And the licensure fee.
3. Candidate (you) applies for a "Professional School Leadership License." This is KSDE Form 21, "Upgrade to Professional School
Specialist or Professional School Leadership License based on Mentoring" is available from
KSDE at http://www.ksde.org/Default.aspx?tabid=153 . Print Form 21, complete the information on the form and mail to KSDE.
4. KSDE will mail the license directly to you.
Please allow 6-8 weeks for processing the application by KSDE.