Advanced Education Programs banner

How to Reach Us

Department of Advanced Education Programs
Fort Hays State University
600 Park Street
Rarick Hall 232
Phone: 785-628-4283
Contact Us

College of Education on Facebook    

Program at a Glance: Master of Science in Counseling-School Counseling

To receive a Master’s degree in School Counseling, you must complete the Master's curriculum consisting of 48 hours coursework.  To qualify for an Initial School Specialist License in Kansas, you must achieve a 3.25 grade point average or higher in this coursework.  Your coursework includes a three-hour research methods course, in which you will learn research methods and complete a research paper.  You must also satisfactorily pass a comprehensive exam over the subject fields of the program. In the semester you intend to graduate, you will need to file an Intent to Graduate form by the posted deadline. All Master’s degrees must be completed within six (6) calendar years after starting the program.

Please visit our student forms and information page for a breakdown of the course sequence.

If you have any questions about the M.S. in Counseling-School Counseling program, please contact Dr. Elliot Isom at (785) 628-4753 or

There are three available routes to obtaining a School Counselor license in Kansas.

Back to top