Nursing Banner

How to Reach Us

Department of Nursing
Fort Hays State University
600 Park Street
Stroup Hall 120B
Phone: 785-628-4256
Contact Us

Nursing Student Resources

Financial Assistance
Student Organizations
Information for International Students
Student Handbooks
Other Resources
DNP Resources

Financial Assistance

The financial aid office administers Title IV programs and distributes funds according to federal guidelines to students demonstrating financial need through the federal needs analysis. Title IV funds include the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grant, Federal College Work Study Program, and the Federal Perkins Loan Program. Major loan programs include the subsidized and unsubsidized Stafford Loan and the Parents Loan for students. The office has available information regarding the College Work Study, Institutional Work Programs, the State of Kansas Work Program, and the new community service project.

Students must file the Free Federal Application for Financial Assistance after January 1. A copy of the FAFSA may be obtained at high school counseling offices or FHSU's Office of Financial Assistance in late November or early December. It is imperative the application be completed before March 1 of every year. Nearly 73 percent of FHSU students receive some form of assistance through grants, loans, and scholarships.

University Catalog | Syllabi | Tuition and Fees | Student Fiscal Services

Information for International Students

Prior to coming to the United States

  • Take the Test of English as a foreign language (TOEFL) in country of origin. The test score must be a 500 or above for a BSN student, and a 550 or above for an MSN student.
  • If English is not the native language of country of origin, take the Test for Spoken English (TSE) in country of origin. The test score must be 240 or above for both BSN and MSN.
  • If not already licensed in Kansas, contact the Kansas State Board of Nursing for Requirements for Licensure (If not already licensed in Kansas, contact the Kansas State Board of Nursing for Requirements for Licensure ("Instructions for Professional Nurses Educated in Countries Other than the United States,"
    • Executive Administrator,
      Kansas State Board of Nursing
      Landon State Office Building Room 551-S
      900 SW Jackson, Topeka, Kansas 66612-1256 USA
      (telephone 913-296-3068).
  • Complete Test on Commission of Graduates of Foreign Schools of Nursing Examination (CGFNS)--deficiencies, if any, must be met.
  • Apply for Registered Nurse licensure examination (NCLEX-RN) that will be administered in the United States by computer application./li>

Prior to admission to Fort Hays State University

  • Contact the Advisor for International Students, telephone 1-785-628-4276.

Prior to admission to Department of Nursing

  • All transcripts must be evaluated by the World Educational Service Inc. and the report filed in the Department of Nursing.
  • Have license to practice in the State of Kansas (this means have already passed NCLEX-RN and received Kansas license to practice as a Registered Nurse).
  • Contact the Coordinator of Baccalaureate Outreach Delivery for BSN students or the Director of Graduate Nursing Studies for MSN students at:
    • Fort Hays State University, Department of Nursing
      600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601-4099 U.S.A.
      Telephone 1-785-628-4256 FAX 1-785-628-4080
  • Contact Us

It may take two years to complete requirements for Kansas Licensure. Students should plan to spend at least one year completing deficiencies after arrival in United States.

Student and Professional Organizations

Of course, the most important thing about going to college is getting your education so that you can begin working as a nurse in whatever practice setting you choose. However, college is about much more than classrooms and exams. It is a time to gain leadership experiences, to network and make professional connections, to build your self confidence, to discover what your passions are, to make a difference. It is a time to ask yourself, "who am I, and what do I want to be?"

Student and professional organizations give you many different opportunities to answer those questions. The Department of Nursing has three specific groups, each a little different in purpose, to give you some great experiences before you leave college.

Fort Hays Association of Nursing Students
The Fort Hays Association of Nursing Students (FHANS) is a professional organization that gives anyone interested in a career in nursing the opportunity to see what a professional nursing organization looks like. FHANS gives pre-nursing and nursing students the chance to get to know their classmates, to put leadership theory into practice, learn more about nursing careers and attend national conferences. FHANS members also do service projects like administering flu shots at Hays Medical Center during the drive-up flu shot day and participating in Good Samaritan shoebox gift program. Generally, the group meets every two weeks. For more information, contact Kathleen Ward, FHANS advisor.

Nursing Christian Fellowship
Begun in 1948, Nursing Christian Fellowship (NCF) is both a professional organization and a ministry of and for nurses and nursing students. Fort Hays NCF's goal is to provide Christian-based support for nursing and pre-nursing students. The group meets weekly to talk, laugh, listen, support, and pray with one another. Members have participated in local and outreach service activities, such as collecting items to donate to volunteer programs, including Crossroads Pregnancy Center and Operation Christmas Child, and mission trips, such as helping with Hurricane Katrina clean up and working at the Denver Rescue Mission. For more information, contact Natasha Werth, NCF advisors.

Sigma Theta Tau
Sigma Theta Tau is the international honor society of nursing. Students are invited to membership in the organization based on high academic achievement in their nursing program. In addition, community leaders may also be invited into membership. Sigma Theta Tau supports knowledge generation in professional nursing practice, and also engages in numerous service projects. Nu Zeta, the local chapter of Sigma Theta Tau, regularly participates in fundraising for research in Alzheimer's and other diseases. They also provide support for continuing education workshops and social events. For more information, visit our Sigma Theta Tau, NuZeta Chapter Web page..

Other Ways to Get Involved
In addition to the nursing-focused organizations, as a student at Fort Hays State University, you will find hundreds of ways to get involved. You can volunteer with Tigers in Service. You can become a member of the Student Government Association. You can be in a play or musical (even if you're not a music major!). You can play intramural sports. To discover the many different ways you might get involved, visit FHSU's Center for Student Involvement.

Nursing Program Handbooks

Undergraduate Handbook
Graduate Handbook: NOTE: The Department of Nursing is no longer accepting new students into the Masters level FNP program.
DNP Handbook


DNP Resources

DNP Project Handbook
DNP E-Portfolio Guidelines


Back to top