Frequently Asked Questions

If a lawsuit is filed against me, what legal protection does the University provide?

Answer: Under the Kansas Tort Claims Act, as a State employee you will receive legal representation by an attorney without cost to you, and any judgments are paid by the State for lawsuits about actions within the scope of your employment.

If I receive a subpoena, whom do I contact?

Answer: Notify the Office of General Counsel immediately, because of subpoena is an official document form a court. Deadlines apply for responding to a subpoena for records or for appearance at trial.

If I receive a request for records, that is not a subpoena, whom do I contact?

Answer: Notify the Office of General Counsel and get the request over to them in a timely manner.

Who has authority to sign contracts on behalf of the University?

Answer: The President of the University and the Vice President for Administration and Finance. All contracts must go through the Office of General Counsel for approval.

What should I do if I receive an inquiry from an attorney outside the University about a University matter?

Answer: Refer the attorney to the Office of General Counsel and notify us immediately at 785-628-4233. Do not discuss the matter with the attorney.

What is FERPA?

Answer: FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) states that educational records identifying a student are confidential and cannot be released, shared, or otherwise disclosed to anyone without the student's written authorization. "Educational records" includes a student's transcript, exams, assignments, papers, grades, or other records containing information directly relating to the student. Excluded from the definition of "educational records" are: personal notes of faculty and staff; records created after a student is no longer a student and not directly related to the student's attendance; employment records not directly related to student status; certain medical and counseling records; records maintained for law enforcement purpose; and certain financial records.

Back to top