Office of Field Experience and Licensure

Fort Hays State University



 Go to the KSDE website for the license renewal applications. 

  1. If you have an Initial Teaching License and wish to upgrade it to a Professional Teaching License based on mentoring (by having taught at least one year), then complete Form 21. If you wish to upgrade it based on enrollment in an Internship, complete Form 19.
  2. If you have an Initial Teaching License and wish to renew it for an additional two years (because you have NOT taught at least one year), then complete Form 20.
  3. If you have a Professional Teaching License and wish to renew it, then complete Form 3a. The most common methods of renewal are to have either professional development points (PDP) or college credit that is turned into PDPs. If you have a graduate degree, you may renew based on having three years of accredited experience during the current professional license. IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are needing to renew or upgrade a license at the same time that you are adding a provisional (Form 4) or full endorsement (Form 1) to your license, contact Kerry Schuckman, FHSU Licensure Officer, at for those applications. By submitting Form 4 or Form 1 along with the renewal application, you will only have to pay one fee (the higher of the two application fees).
  4. If you wish to add an endorsement to your license by having passed the Praxis test (not by program completion), then complete Form 22 and submit directly to KSDE.
  5. If you have completed all of the coursework and passed the Praxis test for a new endorsement, complete the online Form 1.

Application Processes

Out of State License Reciprocity

Completion of Fort Hays State University’s approved programs for initial teacher licensure do not automatically guarantee that you will be able to obtain a license in another state.  You should check with the state department of education in the state you wish to obtain a teaching license in well in advance of completing FHSU’s program.  It is generally recommended that you apply first for a Kansas teaching license, regardless if you plan to teach in Kansas or not.  This sometimes provides a smoother, quicker process when applying for the out-of-state license.  However, each state has its own licensure requirements, so it is best to contact the relevant state department of education.


Back to top