Office of Field Experience and Licensure

Fort Hays State University


Renewing Teaching License

Go to the KSDE website for the license renewal applications - License Renewal Applications

On KSDE applications asking for Student/University ID#, you can enter your social security number OR FHSU ID. Your FHSU ID is on TigerTracks under Personal Information, My FHSU ID.

  1. If you have an Initial Teaching License and wish to upgrade it to a Professional Teaching License based on mentoring (by having taught at least one year), then complete Form 21. If you wish to upgrade it based on enrollment in an Internship, complete Form 19.
  2. If you have an Initial Teaching License and wish to renew it for an additional two years (because you have NOT taught at least one year), then complete Form 20.
  3. If you have a Professional Teaching License and wish to renew it, then complete Form 3a. The most common methods of renewal are to have either professional development points (PDP) or college credit that is turned into PDPs. If you have a graduate degree, you may renew based on having three years of accredited experience during the current professional license. The guidelines for Professional Development Points can be found at
  4. IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are needing to renew or upgrade a license at the same time that you are adding a provisional (Form 4) or full endorsement (Form 1) to your license, then contact Kerry Schuckman, FHSU Licensure Officer, at for those applications. By submitting Form 4 or Form 1 along with the renewal application, you will only have to pay one fee (the higher of the two application fees).

  5. If you wish to add an endorsement to your license by having passed the Praxis test (not by program completion), then complete Form 22 and submit directly to KSDE.
  6. If you have completed all of the coursework and passed the Praxis test for a new endorsement, complete the online Form 1.
  • The Science and Mathematics Education Institute at offer various workshops throughout the year that are ideal for teachers needing credit to renew their teaching licenses.

Applying to FHSU

These instructions apply to licensed teachers who are wishing to take coursework to renew your teaching license. You can take undergraduate coursework or graduate coursework to renew your license. Before deciding which courses to take, you should consult with your local PDC (Professional Development Council) and set up a Plan for Renewal. If you wish to take undergraduate courses, follow the instructions below.

  1. Apply for Admission to FHSU. See below for information on which admission application to choose. You can take undergraduate coursework to renew your license.
  2. Please select "NO" when asked "Do you plan on receiving a degree from FHSU?"
  3. After you've submitted your application for admission to FHSU, please email Jennifer Thornton at in the FHSU Registrar's Office and indicate you are a non-degree seeking student taking coursework to renew your license. Jennifer will assign Ms. Kristine Hepner as your academic advisor. If you do not contact Jennifer Thornton, you will be assigned an advisor in another department and the Teacher Education Department will not know your intentions.
  4. Certain courses are restricted, but allowable for you to take. Dr. Chris Jochum will work with the FHSU Office of Field Experiences and Licensure to get the block lifted for you. or 785-628-4213.
  5. If you are planning on receiving financial aid, please request Mrs. Kerry Schuckman, Licensure Officer, ( or 785-628-4542) send verification to the Financial Assistance Office that you are enrolled in courses for the purpose of renewing your teaching license.

Online Courses:

Go to and click on TigerTracks in the upper left corner. Click on Course Schedule, select your desired semester and any other criteria you would like such as "Virtual" under Type. Most undergraduate education courses are listed under the Department prefix of:

  • Elementary Education (TEEL)
  • Teacher Education Early Childhood (TEEC)

Graduate education courses are listed under:

  • Advanced Education Programs (AEP)
  • Counseling (COUN)
  • Educational Leadership (EDL)
  • English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
  • Library Media Specialist (LIBR)
  • Masters in Instructional Technology (MIT)
  • Reading Specialist (READ)
  • Special Education (SPED)
Back to top